Friday, September 11, 2009

Week 2: Pictures & Reflections

This week was a busy week in IP&T 287. One of the most interesting things things I created was my new wiki website. It may be found with the below link:

http://misskris.pbworks.com/

This last week opened up a whole figurative hall of doors for me as I learned about web 2.0. Web 2.0 are programs and websites that allow for interaction on the internet. This could include chats, blogs, wikis, etc... I learned that these sites could help make a classroom more organized and fun if used. For example, I built a wiki on which I posted an edited picture, a google map, a calendar and many other things that could be useful to a class!

I learned that creating a wiki isn't as hard as I thought it would be! Since I am used to blogger, there were some differences I had to acquaint myself with and adjust to, but for the most part, it was simple to create easy, accessible pages.

This week, I also signed up for an account and explored Goodreads. I had never even heard of Goodreads before, but I am glad I have heard of it now. It's a social networking tool so people can rate, compare and discuss books. I joined the Early Childhood and Elementary Education Books group and even added a book to the bookshelf and started a discussion. Below is a screenshot of my comment in the discussion:

In addition to this, I created an account on Diigo. This is a tool that helps people organize their favorite websites and findings on the internet. I added some of my favorite bookmarks onto my account. Here is a screenshot:


In addition to this, I also added a new blog to my Google Reader- a tool that helps one to read the various posts of all the blogs one follows. Since I have many friends with blogs, I had done this before so this was the easiest part of the assignment I had to do. I 'starred' one of the entries on this educational blog. Below is the screenshot:


I think the most difficult thing I had to do was when I had to figure out Diigo. I signed up for an account but I had to wait for an email confirmation registration from them. I waited a while, but I didn't realize that it had gone to my junk account, so I sat for a long time thinking that it had never come. But once I checked that and started working with it, everything else flowed smoothly.

I think the most useful thing I learned was how to create a wiki and embed information in it. I had seen people do this before and I had always wanted to know how they did it! I know I will definitely create such a website when I am a teacher.

I learned so much about web 2.0 and loved it, I just had to tell a friend. So this morning I called my cousin, who is a high school teacher, and told her all the new possibilities I now know are available to us! Below is a screenshot of our google chat:



As you can see, this was a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristen,

    This is so great! You have made me so happy by calling your cousin and telling her about all the good stuff you learned! This is exactly what Web 2.0 is all about. Great job with your wiki and great job with this blog. I love the background.:)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete